I’d have to be really quick
to describe clouds—
a split second’s enough
… for them to start being something else.
they don’t repeat a single
shape, shade, pose, arrangement.
Unburdened by memory of any kind,
they float easily over the facts.
What on earth could they bear witness to?
They scatter whenever something happens.
Compared to clouds,
life rests on solid ground,
practically permanent, almost eternal.
Next to clouds
even a stone seems like a brother,
someone you can trust,
while they’re just distant, flighty cousins.
Let people exist if they want,
and then die, one after another:
clouds simply don’t care
what they’re up to
And so their haughty fleet
cruises smoothly over your whole life
and mine, still incomplete.
They aren’t obliged to vanish when we’re gone.
They don’t have to be seen while sailing on.
— Wisława Szymborska
(Translated by Stanisław Barańczak and Clare Cavanagh)
- jimbe1 reblogged this from yama-bato
- chinchowdoll reblogged this from yama-bato
- someperfectworld likes this
- chagalov likes this
- uncertaintimes likes this
- pachycambiaso likes this
- momihavetopee likes this
- huong1952 likes this
- thought-pudding likes this
- lushlight likes this
- gregorystees likes this
- findingjustme reblogged this from yama-bato
- quantumpsychonaut reblogged this from tasteofnectar
- quantumpsychonaut likes this
- gnostix1 likes this
- thechaffandthewind likes this
- iamjapanese likes this
- undermycloud reblogged this from yama-bato
- mainstones reblogged this from yama-bato
- mainstones likes this
- pollygannon likes this
- pollygannon reblogged this from yama-bato
- frenchtwist likes this
- veareflejos likes this
- lyndabruce likes this
- half-formed-things likes this
- sirobtep likes this
- alongtimealone likes this
- laflaneuse8 likes this
- laililial likes this
- laililial reblogged this from yama-bato
- pixieandstars likes this
- bluewilddangel likes this
- muse-in-thought reblogged this from yama-bato
- muse-in-thought likes this
- thedailydoodles likes this
- aelol likes this
- yama-bato posted this